Monday, April 5, 2010


Today was my son's first day at a new school.  I know, who moves their child when there is only 47 days left in the school year?  Well, our house sold, and in this economy, we had to do what we had to do.  I was afraid for him, for the last few years, Adam attended a relatively small school in Cape Coral, FL.  He had the same group of teachers for the last two years and they would have followed him into 8th grade, too.

The day started well, Adam seemed to take to the strict dress code without complaint.  When we got to the school, we were surprised at how busy it was.  We waited patiently for someone to give him his schedule and discuss his classes with him.  I was thrilled to learn that they felt that the Advanced Learner program was still appropriate for him.  (Adam has been in a gifted program since 4th grade).  The guidance counselor introduced him to another student that would help him get acclimated to the school.  I couldn't help but notice that she was adorable!!  Adam said he didn't notice.  Yeah, okay!  I spent some time speaking with the PTA President who seemed thrilled to learn that I wanted to volunteer on a regular basis.  While my son went off on a tour with the student, I got a tour of my own with the PTA President.  I got the "inside scoop" and I do believe that I can rest easy........Adam will be just fine!

He, however, does NOT like the school bus ride, apparently the middle school students ride the same bus as the high school students.  No problems, they just like to keep the age groups separate, so that means the middle school students must squeeze in toward the front of the bus, 3 to a seat.  Adam was NOT comfortable, we are talking about a boy that is 5'7, 170lbs......I get where he is coming from.........but, we'll try again tomorrow.

No comments: